Monday, March 11, 2013

City That Never Sleeps, But I Do

I have moved to New York officially!!!  It is weird actually being here.  Walking around in Times Square every other day is still mind boggling to me.  I am subletting an apartment up here.  I only know a couple of people who live in NYC, and I have not had the chance to see them yet, so at the moment it is kind of lonely.  Last Saturday, I took a class at Dance New Amsterdam, and although the instructor was very nice and gave good personalized critiques, the style of the jazz class was a little more modern style than I expected.  Sunday I took two classes at Broadway Dance Center, and truly enjoyed both of them, but especially the contemporary jazz class.  The combination was a good mixture of technique and emotion.  As I finished the serious combination when groups performed the piece, I felt my face light up every time with a huge smile, and I probably looked like a crazy girl who was enjoying herself way too much in class.  But I had not taken a good contemporary class in so long, so I actually was a crazy girl who was enjoying myself way too much in class. Haha.  Tuesday was my first audition I attended since I have been here.  It was for a cruise line.  Unfortunately, I did not get past the preliminary cuts.  Since they had too many dancers show up for the audition, they had to add in the preliminary cuts which entailed 6 kicks and 3 turns to decide your fate, although I think appearance played a big factor as well.  I realize after seeing the other dancers there, I was not dressed showy enough and my headshot was the wrong size.  It should have been a full page size, who knew?  Thursday was my second audition for a touring show of “The Little Mermaid.”  Unfortunately, I got cut from those auditions as well.  I was not expecting a ballet combination, so my nerves got the best of me.  I need to really focus on improving my confidence level for the future, because right now I think that is the biggest thing holding me back.  Hopefully I can learn from these mistakes in order to get a more positive outcome at my next audition.  I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment